Skip to main content

Day 1 part 2

Day 1 was a plenary session with a great deal of information. Jack Dangermond, founder /President of Esri, gave an overview of the company, the different focus areas oaf the software, and the future things to come. One announcement from Mr. Dangermond was they acquired a Swiss software firm, Procedural. Procedural develops CityEngine, software used to create 3D, urban environments from 2D data. Another highlight in my notes. ArcGIS runtime is a new lightweight platform for developers. The key points here include small footprint, fast deployment, native 64 and 32 bit, Linux and Windows support. It was mentioned that ArcGIS is or will be available for home use.... I think this more for trying / playing then using GIS software at home. A great deal of talk about the cloud was presented. I hope to attend some sessions

Later in the plenary session the Esri staff listed the top 10 features of the software. This was grouped by three main business focus areas, ArcGIS server, desktop, and mobile/runtime..

Desktop:
10. Search - the presenter showed how to search 4,600+ projects with spatial filtering and how fast it was.

9. Editor tracking - update automatically within the application what changes were made and by who.

8. Geotagged photo to points

7. GPX to features

6. Improved KML support

5. New generalization tools

4. Geodatabase administration - this allow things like managing locks on a DB and viewing versions within the ArcGIS environment

3. Key numbering - lable more description on maps

2. Dynamic legends

1. Share as... This allows the ability to publish information easier

ArcGIS Server Top 10

10. Global data
9. Silverlight viewer
8. 64 bit support
7. New architecture - web services
6. Easier to install and configure
5. More IT friendly -( I have a note that registry options are gone but I am not sure what this means :-)
4. Live and historic traffic for network analysis
3. Dynamic layers (cool)
2. Printing high quality maps
1. Better performance

Mobile devices / runtime Top 10

10. ArcGIS on iOS - I now have it on my iPad
9. ArcGIS on windows phone ( not much response from the audience )
8. ArcGIS on windows mobile
7. ArcGIS on android
6. Can't read my notes, something about pop-up's on mobile devices
5. Social media - Facebook twitter others... Can't wait to Facebook my GIS, oh I guess I already do with my Garmin...
4. Off-line capabilities - this could have some benefit in the field when the network is not available
3. Faster application startup. It was so fast tha I did not see it because I was writing
2. Fast map display
1. Easy deployment - they gave an example of deploying it on a USB stick.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day - 2 Oracle Open World

Day – 4 Oracle Open World