Skip to main content

Day – 4 Oracle Open World

Just had to add a quick update while I have some time...

 The Oracle stuff is in 5-6 buildings and I don’t know how many Java is occupying.  Anyway, I was walking from one building to another and as usual people are handing out stuff.  I see something that looks like a CD and I figured it could be a local band trying to get their sound out to people, so I grab one.  As I am walking I look closely at the CD cover and this is what it was….

:-)


The question of the day is… Are you a geek if you wear both straps of the backpack?

I think I mentioned this before but I have to state it again, register early and get accommodations in SF.  I am tired of the BART thing. 

Yesterday I got to spend time in the cloud with Amazon EC2.  This was a hands-on session with Oracle Database Firewall and we connected to EC2 environment to do the lab.  It sounded as if this was another acquisition for Oracle and was relative new.  I am not a firewall person but the idea of monitoring and blocking SQL traffic on the network with white list, black list and exception list policies is kind of interesting.   We also used swingbench, the same tool I used to compare Oracle on AIX and Linux, to test firewall rules.  Because this is designed specifically for databases, and not just Oracle, it would be a good front-end to protect a database exposed to the internet.
The rest of the day was a bit uneventful but I guess that’s how it goes.  Every session can’t be great.  I have a couple hands on sessions toady so hopefully the next update will be more informative.

Comments

Joemanke said…
It depends on the backpack... I'd hate to attempt to hike the CO Trail while only using one strap of my backpack ;). If you mean a normal backpack... well maybe... But I think your instance - carrying a backpack slam full of goodies and free handouts form Oracle world on the big bad BART is more similar to CO Trail example haha
Eva said…
I've been in the geek camp since my college days of a lugging 20 lb backpack full of textbooks across campus. At least I don't tilt to one side, or do I?

Popular posts from this blog

Day - 2 Oracle Open World